What are special educational needs?

A child or young person has special educational needs if he or she has a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. A learning difficulty or disability is a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age. Special educational provision means educational or training provision that is additional to, or different from, that made generally for others of the same age in a mainstream setting in England…. Health care provision or social care provision which educates or trains a child or young person is to be treated as special educational provision. Code of Practice 2014

Please see our Special Educational Needs and Disabilities policy. (This can be found under Information - Policies.)

Mrs Janette Mountford Lees is our named Sendco. However, all staff have a duty towards identifying and supporting children with special educational needs and disabilities. 

Who can I contact for further information or if I have any concerns?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling please contact the following:

  • Your child’s class teacher
  • The Principal / SENCo
  • For complaints please contact the Principal initially then if not satisfied you can have further discussions with the School Governor with responsibility for SEN.

External support services for parents of pupils with SEN include

If you have a general or specific enquiry for the Family SEND Partnership, and would like to speak to one of their team, or you are a parent wanting to request information and support then please send an This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or phone 01785 356921 during office hours.

We hope we have answered any queries you may have, but do not hesitate to contact the Academy if you have further questions